Soaring Through the World

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Photo a Day: My Daily Sustenance, Day 263

Recently I joined my daughter Alison, her daughter Charley and Charley's daughter Myah in visiting son Derek and his wife Margaret Ann.  Now whenever we visit, a trip to visit the goats is included.  The grain is judged to be a treat for them.  This particular day they were not hungry, but they love getting attention!   Myah is skittish when the goats "get taller" by putting their front hooves on the gate, so she throws the food at them rather than offering it on her hand.  Her mom is showing her how to do that in the photo below.
I took a slightly different path to go back to the house.  There I discovered how green my son is.  He has a rain barrel that collects the water from the barn roof.  


 a close-up of the spigot
He uses the collected rainwater to water his large garden.



3 comments:

Librarian said...

Doesn't everybody with a garden collect rainwater? At least here in Germany they do that... and have been doing so since time begun (or ever since humans started to cultivate gardens, I suppose!).
Goats are fascinating! Good for little Myah to have the possibility to meet animals for real and not just in a picture book :-)

Scrappy Grams said...

Dear Librarian, I'd say that the answer to that is "no." Europe is far ahead of us in living green. It's only in the last few years, that reusable bags were available. I am amazed at how many I see at Walmart with a dozen or so plastic bags full of groceries. It saddens me that Americans seem to think or at least act like the planet's problems are for everyone else but them to make changes in living and buying.

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

sometimes I throw the food too...don't want to get bitten!

And in answer to your friend..hardly anyone in the U.S. (as you said) collects rainwater!